AS OF MARCH 2022 THE HPCSA HAS AMENDED THE PROCESS OF CPD FOR HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS
THE AMENDMENTS TO THE CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (CPD) PROGRAMME OF THE HEALTH PROFESSIONS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA
The Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) has amended aspects of its policy on Continuous Professional Development (CPD) programme, below are the amendments: -
• The process of randomly selecting practitioners from the HPCSA’s database to verify compliance has been discontinued. All registered practitioners a now be expected to comply with the set CPD requirements on a continuous basis.
• The HPCSA has approved that authorised facilitators and providers of CPD programmes to submit the attendance registers directly to the HPCSA in order to update the practitioner’s CPD profile. This has been effectively commenced for some professional boards, as implemented on 1 February 2022, while the rest of the CPD providers and facilitators agreed to commence their submission effectively on 1 March 2022.
• The issuance of Continuous Education Unit (CEUs) certificates is no longer mandatory requirements, as the information will be provided directly to the HPCSA by the approved facilitators and providers of the CPD activities. Protecting
• The online portal will remain active in order to cater for the exceptions, that is the activities not accredited by local providers, but recognised for CPD purposes, for example, when submitting certificate from international provider.
• Registered health practitioner will receive a notification, at their nominated contact, of any CPD profile updates done. Please contact the HPCSA should such notification not be received within a week of attending the CPD activity or if the CPD status is not updated according to activities attended.